Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Rice Vinegar has never been so exciting.

So recently I've been meaning to get some rice vinegar into my household but whenever I go to the store I either forget to get it, or I don't know which one to get. I had my girlfriend help me and finally I got some and I'm quite delighted. I never thought I'd use the word "delighted" to describe how i felt about rice vinegar, but I'll accept it for now. Anyways, recently I was at Chow, which is a restaurant in San Francisco (go there if you've never been, you wont be disappointed) and one of my favorite things there is their wontons. Now the wontons seem fairly normal but its the sauce that they're in that I love. What's in this mysterious sauce? Rice vinegar!
So I made my own version of the sauce. I used soy sauce, rice vinegar and garlic chili's and it tasted a lot like Chow's but spicier, just how i like it. So i faked the wontons, and i wish i had time to go to Japan town and get some, but alas i dont right now. So I took some Trader Joes gyoza, boiled them like wontons and served them in the sauce. The quickest meal I've made in the past couple weeks and one of the best.

Pseudo Wonton's in a Spicy Rice Vinegar Sauce.



I wanted to eat more of them even when I was stuffed, but I stopped myself unlike the last time I was at Chow when I made sure I finished them off. Now that I know I can have them anytime I want I wont have to gorge myself. *phew*.
I'm glad I made another successful sauce though fairly simple. Even though it wasn't my original idea like most of my dishes it felt just as good to make.

So some time went by, I'd say about 2 hours and I was hungry again, but not for a meal just a snack. I wanted something sweet but we had nothing in the house. So... I used what we had trying to build my confidence as a spur of the moment chef. I decided to make some sort of cookies, but we had no eggs and no oil and very little butter.
So here's what I threw together:
flour
baking soda
butter
chocolate chips
brown sugar
granulated sugar
vanilla
milk
brownie mix
apple sauce


A strange combination of things. But the so called "batter" that came out of it was delicious.
After eating a portion of it I decided to bake it and see what it turned into. I put it in a cup cake tin and shoved it in the oven. I made a strange glaze for them and once they were done cut it in half and offered it to my roommate. She told me I had to try it first. It's insides were gooey and outside had a really strange texture but when you touched it, it seemed like it would be cake like...

Somewhat successful, somewhat strange. Try it yourself see what you make. It was kinda like waiting for a surprise. A strange textured gooey cake like surprise with a whole bunch of chocolate chips.

Enough for now.
Good luck on your next food quest, we'll see where mine takes me tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment