Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Experiments and Comfort Food


So in the past couple days I've made some strange things and some foods that remind me of home. Recently I've been interested in making a risotto, but alas I dont know how to make risotto. Researching it gave me an idea, so I grated some potato, boiled it and then cooked it a little more with some cheese and milk. I also needed to use up some of the tri tip i have left but I wanted to make some shrimp as well. I created sort of a surf and turf kinda thing. It was hearty but light enough that you felt full but not too full.


Surf and Turf with A Psuedo Risotto

And of course a salad and some wine.


It was a strange meal, but good as always.

I was at my friends house watching public access or some cable channel and they were making a simple and delicious pasta dish and it reminded me of how my best friends mom always made this dish we called "worms". Now growing up my mom didn't cook very much for our family, but we have always had a tight knit neighborhood, and our next door neighbor used to feed me all kinds of delicious foods. A staple in their household was and still is, worms. Now it sounds strange but I found out that it's actually a really simple pasta dish to make. All that's in it is rotelle (which I could not find at the store so I substituted it with Penne), pitted kalamata olives, crushed tomatoes and feta. Some of the best comfort food that I know of.

Penne with Kalamata Olives and Feta

Its just as good cold as it is hot, and you make a whole lot of it thats for sure.

I was interested in making some cookie brownies because they always seem so good when other people make them. I found a recipe but I decided to just wing it instead. Wrong choice. I baked them until i thought they were baked all the way through... turns out they werent baked thoroughly at all. So my friend gave me a good suggestion to just flip it out of the pan. It seemed like a good idea at the time until only half of it came out. I decided to bake both pans that held the cookie brownies. Only one turned out successful.

Cookie Brownie Disaster



This afternoon I wanted to make something simple. So I cooked some onions and chicken in olive oil and Dijon Mustard. It was for sure delicious, it make the onions really sweet in fact. I then paired it with some left over pasta. Very tasty.

Dijon Chicken and Onions


A quick and easy meal. I was going to make caramel apples tonight but I dont have enough time, gotta do more homework then i want to.






No comments:

Post a Comment