Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Oh Fillet Mignon, your good for many creations.

Have you ever had one of those weeks that was so stressful that all you wanted was a great meal before you did hella homework, or maybe just work in general?
Thats where I was on Wednesday, I had a huge exam and I hadnt eaten in hours and all i wanted was a delicious meal! I have not eaten red meat since i got food poisoning because i really have not felt up to it, but recently I'd been craving a good steak. Not one of those tough hearty steaks where i'll want to fall asleep after, but something that will melt in your mouth and leave you wishing you had more to eat.
Fillet Mignon? I think so.

I bought some cheap red wine that was on sale at safeway, it was about $2.90 and I figured it'd be cheap and good to cook with. Then i tried it... it was a really good wine. Now my family knows how to appreciate wine, they would what you would call "wine people" so over the years i've had a lot of experience with differnt kinds of good wine and for some reason this cheap cabernet sauvignon blanc was really good. I made my other roommates drink some and they agreed. So I marinated the fillet mignon in the wine for about 20 mins and starting chopping up some onions. I put some more wine in a large pan and threw the onions in and let it simmer. Then I put the steak in and let it cook. Now while it was cooking I started in on making one of my strange sauce creations. I like blue cheese on my fillet mignon so i winged a blue cheese, butter and wine sauce. It was killer. Lets just say my roommate took the bowl of it and put tin foil over it so she could eat more later. I also made some buttery delicious mashed potatoes to go along with the dish. Finally I took the steak off the pan and set up all the plates and was ready to eat. I cut into my steak.... disappointment. Way too rare for me, in fact way to rare for anyone I'd think. So... i just threw it back on the stove and cooked it till it was really ready. And then, success! The steak literally melted in my mouth. I even walked into my roommates room and made her try it to see if i was hallucinating, the first thing she said was "How'd you make that?!".

I'd say one of the best dishes. And the sauce was a great color!

Fillet Mignon with a Blue Cheese Sauce and Mashed Potatoes


It was hard to stop eating it


So on friday I was starving after a night of going out and I wanted some lunch but all i had were some small pieces of the fillet mignon left. So I improvised and and decided to make a fillet mignon sandwich and use the leftover sauce as a spread. I cooked the meat the same way I did the fillet mignon before. This time i carmelized some onions and threw them on top. Best sandwich so far.

Filet Mignon Sandwich with Carmelized Onions and a Blue Cheese Spread


Hands down one of the best sandwiches I've made.


Time to get ready to make another recipe tonight.
As for now the shower is calling, im still muddy from my soccer game this morning.
Seeya foodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment