Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Fried Chicken, Bake Sales and Curry.


This week i did a lot of cooking. Most of my things are experimental with some helpful sources such as, google and the Joy of cooking cook book I found when i was drunkenly wandering down the street and came upon a box of free things. Currently i have a potato in the oven and im waiting for that evil thing to cook. It always takes so long.

So we live in SF, on a highly trafficked street populated by pedestrians and bikers, in a fairly nice neighborhood next to a park. Reminiscing about grade school I remembered how fun it was to have bake sales with your friends...and then the idea was born. Why not have a bake sale in front of our house and see what happens?

The bake sale contained:
Brownies
Cookie Bars
Weird ass circle cookies
Rice crispy treats
Chocolate rice crispy treats
Chocolate Cup cakes
Funfetti cup cakes.
































We started about 45 mins later then expected but overall sat on our stoop till pleasantly tipsy and having a hard time doing the math for peoples change. We sold almost all of our baked goods and made about $65 dollars in profit. I'd say an amazing turn out.

Cant wait for next time.

But i did a lot more cooking this week then JUST a bake sale.

This first thing i made this week was...

Gorgonzola chicken with caramelized onions, green beans with onions and garlic, and rice.


Highly delicious and a classic in our household. I've recruited most of my roommates to be in love with this tasty dish.

So in our household we have a staple in our lives.... Fried chicken. Now we usually hit popeyes on Tuesdays for their 99 cents for two pieces deal. Now i know we sound like fatties, but i swear its all in moderation. Recently i've really wanted to start making fried chicken at home, but for the life of me i dont have that much free time on my hands. I barely have enough time to write this blog, I should be studying for a test, writing a paper proposal and reading a play for a presentation...but alas, i love food more.

So... i made my first attempt at friend chicken, and we only have green beans for a vegatable so i made the green beans my girlfriend has so greatly taught me how to make.


So... to say the least it was DELICIOUS. And i will start making more fried chicken at home. But.... it still isnt as good as popeyes. But i will beat you popeyes.... someday.

Also i've been told that i need to try some more spices, so yesterday i went to the store and stood in the spice aisle for about 20 mins reading about all the spices. I bought some curry powder and it turned out to be really tasty. So i was going to make some curried halibut but... the halibut smelled really strange. So i opted out of that, especially since i recently had food poisoning from some tacos in the Mission. So i got out my default that i always know is delicious and chose to make curried salmon instead. Though the recipe for the curry required some things i didnt have i made some evaporated milk and threw some onions and garlic in there.

Curried Salmon And Rice


It was fairly dense and i didnt eat the whole thing, but luckily my roommate fell in love with the dish and finnished it off easily for me.

So that damn potato is finally done. Its been in the over for almost 45 mins to and hour... *sigh* i wished they baked quicker. Anyways i've been making this strange creamy potato thing. Basically i take heavy cream, butter and salt and cover the potato in it and bake it till it's soft. Lets just say, if i ate this everyday i'd probably loose about 10 years of my life.

Well... thats it for now.
Time to start my hw...

...I wish cooking was my homework.




1 comment: