Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Holidays Are Here!


The holidays are here, and we've all decorated our stockings above the fake fireplace. But alas, no one is here, they've all gone away to their selective regions. Which means, I must go back to Oakland! But before I do that let me tell you about the fantastic caramels I made. Now I've been trying to find enough time to make these, but my time has been limited to say the least, so finally when finals were done I went to the store and bought the items I needed to complete my task. I even bought a cooking thermometer so I could make these right. It was all fairly simple, mixed all of the ingredients and let it boil, then simmered it on a med-high heat and had my friend time it for 10 mins. Now I had a mishap where the thermometer fell into the caramel and I almost lost it forever! But I fished it out just in time. Then I poured the caramel into a pan with wax paper and let it cool.

The Cooling process...


As it was cooling I decided what I wanted to put on top of them, now See's candy has these delicious caramels with marshmallow on them, so I tried to find their secret recipe, but I couldn't find it. So... I winged it, I melted the marshmallows with some butter and added some honey, then i layered it on a third of the caramels. Then I bought some raw walnuts, toasted them and added them on top of the caramels. And finally I was ready to dip them in chocolate. I did a large batch in bittersweet Godiva chocolate, but then I ran out of chocolate! So.. I had to wait till the next day and I had to get semi-sweet for the rest. Both turned out delicious.

Covered in Chocolate...


Thats all that was left...
But It made about, 60 or so? And I am gifting them for Christmas, easy way to make gifts from the heart, that taste delicious. And if you got some wax paper and ribbon, your set.

Wrapped and ready to go...



And we had some left over that were not covered in chocolate so we just cut em' up, and wrapped them in some wax paper and gave those to people as well. Delicious.

Tomorrow is going to be full of homemade candy and delicious foods. Cant wait.

Happy Holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment