Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Monday, November 9, 2009

Muffin Disaster, BBQ and Scones


What you see to your left, is my disaster for this week. I didn't do as much cooking as I wanted to, because I was really tired from the past couple weeks I've been studying and taking exams, so I only got to make a couple of things, and this unfortunate mess is one of them. For a couple days I'd been raving about this cool recipe I found online called "Donut Muffins" and apparently they were little baby muffins that tasted like donuts. I love donuts, but alas since I've moved to San Francisco I have not found a donut shop like the one in Oakland we love so dearly, and have made so many late night trips to. Anyways, i attempted these muffins, added some extra ingredients, because we all know how I like to put random extras in. Well it seemed as if it was going well enough, the cooking process looked like it was going well, they had a texture I had never seen before. Finally they were cooked all the way through, success! So I took them out and let them cook for a little bit. Thats when the trouble started, I tried to take one out to taste it, but it would not budge. Oh my... In the end I had to take them out with my bare hands, and the above is the end results. Though we did eat them anyways and they were really good. Tasted a lot like corn bread though. But like... stickey. Anyways it was really strange.

Earlier in the week I bought some delicious tri tip (for some reason its always on sale here) and I've decided I really just dont like tri tip that much unless I BBQ it. So I marinated it in BBQ sauce and some chili pepper flakes for a day and was excited to grill it up. Also, I decided to use my melon baller that I got at the salvation army. So exciting. So I balled some cucumbers and used the left over cucumber to make a little dressing for them. I mixed up olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a little salt and pepper, through in the cucumber and blended it up. I really like it. I also made some mashed potatos, because I felt like I'd been missing those recently.

Tri Tip with BBQ Chili Marinade, Mashed Potatoes And A Cucumber Salad

Balled cucumbers are so strange.

So I was a big discouraged by my last baking experience, obviously it had not been that successful, but tonight I had some free time on my hands, and I decided I had enough energy to try a baking recipe. I have a whole section of recipes in my book marks that I look through to try, and I wanted to make something I never had before, so I picked a scone recipe. It called for rasberrys.. but I didnt have any, but I did have a Pomegranate! So I cracked that baby open and started to take those little morsels out. So... what I forgot was the little pomegranate morsels have seeds in them! So I decided to wing it, I put them in the blender and decided to include the seeds (which apparently are good for you and high in fiber, thank you Google). I also used our kitchen aid mixer for the first time which was really awesome. Anyways, throughout the process I was fairly weary, I felt like scones were a hard task, but alas I manned up and powered through. To create these delicious babies.

Pomegranate Scones


before..



Recipe:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
8 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
1/2 cup cream
1 large egg

1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Pomegranate


I will totally be eating those for breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment