Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Flower Bowls and much more.

I wish there was more time in the day to blog and less time to do homework. I did a lot of cooking this week, no specific Halloween themed though, but a lot non the less. Yesterday I went to the Salvation Army to see if they had any cool plates for a couple dollars that I could purchase to maybe spice up how my pictures look. I found these pretty little flower bowls, you can see on the right, that are perfect cup of soup, or rice. To say the least I was very excited when I found them, I think they were even brand new (but of course we'll never know). I really wanted to get some nice plates as well, but I couldnt really find any that struck my fancy, there were some more bowls, but I didnt even need to buy the flowers ones. Anyways, hopefully you will see more pictures with these delightful little things (on a different colored surface then the counter). I will continue my thrift store, interesting plating mission, dont worry.

So I have really been wanting something spicy, and I keep buying these green beans that I leave in the fridge for too long, and then they are gross. So I knew I needed to include my recently purchased beans in my meal. I wanted to do some sort of szechuan or Asian style green bean, but alas I'm always missing some fish juice or clam juice or something that I never feel the energy to go out and get. So I used what I had around the house, some garlic chili sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar to create some sort of sauce for the beans and chicken I was going to cook. Turns out I made it way too spicy, to the point where in the end I couldnt feel my mouth. It was damn worth it though.

Spicy Chili Green Beans and Chicken


After I had burned my mouth off for the night I was really craving some chips, just to munch on. Now I dont buy chips, because it is really easy for me to eat way too many in one sitting, so easy prevention, I dont buy them. But I really wanted them! So my mind flashed back to this one time in highschool, I was at a party with some vegitarian hipster kids and in a drunken stupor they decided to cut up potatoes and fry them, and we ate them as chips. Long shot? No way, it was totally going to work. So without warning I started to peal a potatoe, and cut it up as thin as possible, while heating up some oil for frying. I made a bunch of them to share and mixed up some sour cream and onion dip.

Homemade Potato Chips with Seasalt


Lets just say once the chips were polished off my other roomate started cutting up more potato and reheating the oil for a second round.

The erractic weather in San Francisco had decided to be cold the next day and I really wanted something that would heat me up. Browsing recipes I came accross a Chili recipe that sounded easy. I decided to make it spicier then the recipe had called for, and instead of using ground beef, I decided to take the healthier route and use ground turkey. Which worked out well, since our guest who was staying with us doesnt eat red meat, which i found out when he walked in mid-chili making and explained he was glad he could eat it.

Spicy Turkey Chili


The cooking process


As you can see there was no seafood included in this week, so I really wanted to make some catfish, but alas my girlfriend wanted to eat shrimp, so I opted out of the catfish for the night... but it's coming! Strangely there was not a large shrimp selection at the store that night, so we bought some butterfly shrimp, a pound to be exact and made a couple differnt things. I fried some up with Panko crumbs, make some into gyoza with spinach and my girlfriend cooked the rest up with some garlic. It was quite an adventure.

Shrimp and Spinach Gyoza


fry, fry, fry....


Garlic Shrimp and Spinach (Cooked by Maia)


Panko Shrimp


It was like binging in a seafood marathon.

Days passed and I returned to school once again, but not without the craving of a dearest soup calling my name. Finally when I didnt have any work to do (or was putting it off, either way) I had some free time. I decided to had a second go at the South African Mealie, feeling more confident then the first time. I did the same rountine and it came out just as delicious as last time, success! (I froze it so that I will be able to have it anytime I want).

South African Crab Mealie 2


Finally I've been trying to complete this very simple cinnamon twist recipe. Now I grew up next to a bakery that had the BEST cinnamon twists there ever were. Now I've recently revisted that bakery to make sure I was correct... and I still am. So good. Anyways, I found an easy recipe that used Pilsberry bread sticks, egg and cinnamon sugar. Unfortionitly our mega-safeway didnt have any breadsticks so i opted for cresant rolls or something? Whatever. Anyways, they turned out delicious, but still Im going to need a lot of work, to perfect this... maybe even some homemade dough.

Cinnamon Twists



No comments:

Post a Comment