Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Friday, October 16, 2009

Soup, Curry, Fish and a little baking.

I have not done as much cooking as I wanted this week, I was away for the weekend and tormented myself by watching the food network while staying in a Bed and Breakfast with no kitchen for me to cook in. Eventually I made my way home and decided to make some soup since a storm was supposed to come in that week, and its been colder and colder these days. I used to work at Noah's Bagels back in high school and they always had this broccoli cheddar soup that I loved to eat and so I decided to make my own this time. I've noticed that a lot of soups start with an onion base and some delicious butter. It was fairly easy to make though pretty time consuming. It involved some half and half, chicken stock, flour, cheddar, carrots, broccoli and some salt and pepper. Turned out really delicious, a comfort food not to be missed!

Broccoli Cheddar Soup


Recipe:
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
1/2 pound fresh broccoli
1 cup carrots, julienned
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar


Once again I was ready to start baking and I was determined to try and make something with puff pastry dough. What shall I make? Turnovers!
So I started in on making them and I didnt want to make just one kind, so i made 3 different kinds. I made strawberry, cherry and banana chocolate caramel. Delicious? I think so. Now I did have some troubles, when I took them out the first time I bit into one and it was still doughy on the inside. Gross. So I put them back in until they were fully done, and once they were, everyone in the house ate them. Now they arnt as good as the ones my grandma used to give me, but they're a start towards it.

Cherry, Strawberry and Banana Caramel Chocolate Turnovers


They disappeared very quickly.
I have been thinking about cooking halibut for awhile now but I bought some awhile back an defrosted it and it smelled bad. I was decided to cook halibut with some spinach and I really wanted some sort of gravy on it. I was going to make a tomato gravy and I started to make it but it turned out funky, it did not taste like it would go on a halibut. So I restarted and took some chicken gravy (I know chicken gravy on fish sounds controversial!) I thinned out the gravy and added some garlic and a little butter and some water. Now I dont know how to cook halibut, I dont know when its done (I assumed when its flaky) and I dont know what to cook it with to give it flavor. My aunt was telling me about how my mom would pan sear halibut with lemon juice and butter and so I decided to make some garlic butter, and once infused added a little lemon juiced. It really gave the fish little kick, less plain then most halibut. I then cooked some spinach in the same pan and put the dish together. One of the best halibuts I've even had.

Garlic Butter Halibut with Spinach and Gravy


I hope to make it again soon.
Last night I really wanted some Japanese curry. My girlfriend always makes it for me and I pleadingly tried to convince her to come over and make it for me. No luck. I had to make it myself. I went to the store and bought some Japanese curry, not the same kind we usually eat but same brand I figured it would do.
Oh! Also I tend to fail at making rice on the stove. And I hoped this time, because I really needed it for the curry, I would make it a little more cautiously. I cooked everything up, the chicken, onions potatoes and carrots and finally made the curry from the strange curry blocks that were in the curry package. And I was trying to do 4 things at once and i forgot the rice was cooking! Damnit.
Mid email I remember that my rice was almost done last time I looked at, it which was awhile ago. So I ran to the stove and turned it off, tried the rice and it was perfect! How could this have happened?
Im not going to question it.
It wasn't as fantastic as my girlfriends curry, but it was really good none the less. AND it was spicier then her curry, and everyone knows I like spicy foods.
I waited for my roommate to get home and we feasted!

Spicy Japanese Curry


Gotta practice making my Japanese curry but so gooood.





No comments:

Post a Comment