Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Apple Balsamic Pork Chops, Lemon Cream Cheese Cupcakes and a Dash of Buffalo Wing Sauce


Well a day without school is a day full of cooking for me. I really like buffalo wings and I've been wondering how to make buffalo wing sauce, but I have really had no luck in finding out how to make it. Everyone always says use Franks Hot Sauce, so I went to the store and got some. I only had some chicken breasts so I decided to make some Buffalo wing chicken strips to see how it would go. I mixed up the eggs that I use when frying with the hot sauce so that it would thoroughly coat the chicken and taste like buffalo sauce, but it was a lot lighter then I would have wanted. I should have let it sit longer in the sauce so that it could really soak up the flavor. I made a good amount, and with some pieces the coating fell off while I was frying it, but some came out really well coated. We for sure dipped it in the sauce after it was done.

Buffalo Wing Sauce Chicken Strips


Who doesn't love fried chicken?!
Anyways, I grew up in a very Midwestern family. Whenever we had family affairs we always eat a good old combination of meat a potatoes. The best combination I'd say. Now I've mastered the potato section, I can make a killer scalloped potato and my girlfriend and I figured out how to make the best garlic mashed potatoes you'll ever taste, but I've never tried my hand at the meat portion. I decided that I was going to make a pork chop, two in fact. While watching top chef on the cooking channel they were cooking apples for something and I decided I really wanted to cook apples, and what goes with apples? Pork. This is what spawned the whole pork chop idea. The night before I experimented with a marinade of balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and some salt. Later I added a little red wine into the mix. I bought two pork chops, learned about brining (which is really strange) and marinaded the pork. I dried the chops after the marinade, patted it down with a flour brown sugar mixture and cooked it in some vegetable oil. I then created a sauce with some green apples and a variation of the marinade, cooked it until the apples were a bit tender and the flavor had seeped into the sauce.

Balsamic Apple Pork Chop


Not only did I feed my roommate her first pork chop, but it turned out fantastic!
Later on in the night on this cooking binge, I wanted to bake something, but with no chocolate chips and limited supplies I had to conjure something. I looked up some simple cupcake recipes and had just the right amount of cream cheese to make these cup cakes. They were a simple lemon cup cake made with flour, eggs, butter, cream cheese, sugar and lemon zest, but I jazzed it up added a little more cream cheese, threw in some lemon juice and added a little vanilla. Now i had to figure out what kind of frosting to put on the cupcakes. My grandma always makes brown sugar frosting for the cakes she makes for us, and its one of my favorite things. So I looked up a brown sugar frosting recipe and found a simple one. I started to make it, melted the brown sugar into the butter.... and then I realized, I had no milk. What am I gonna do without milk? So I hoped maybe I could just add a little water and a tiny bit more butter and it would become creamy? I started to add in the powdered sugar and a disaster started to form. My sugar was starting to clump together and it was just turned into sugar candy. I took it out of the pan and it started to harden, what was I to do?! I couldn't add eggs, they would just cook immediately because it was so hot! So I grabbed the first liquid I could spot in the fridge that wasn't salad dressing or hot sauce. Lemonade to the rescue! I figured at this point the frosting was fairly dead, and what would lemonade hurt? I pour some in and started stirring and instantly it became easier to stir, I added a bit more and then added some more powdered sugar... and Ta da! Frosting. Who? What? Where? When? How? I barely know. But I'm sure glad I didn't grab the Ranch Dressing.
Finally after stirring vigorously I put it in the fridge to cool.

Lemon Cream Cheese Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Lemonade Frosting


Lets just say you cant just eat one.



1 comment:

  1. HMM...
    Check out this blog for ideas http://teenage-baking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete