Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Does making it at home mean its healthier? Or am I fooling myself?


Back to the scones! I've decided thats my default thing to bake... why? Because I can make them. It seems that other things that I bake seem to... well fail. Its not like I'm clueless, i KNOW why it happens I just continue to do the same thing over and over again. I'm not a baker. Not yet anyways. I'll just keep trying, but I'm telling you, scones... I can do scones. This time I decided to do a glaze, mmm confectioners sugar. So I proceeded on my merry way to make raspberry scones with lemon glaze. Delicious. Oh! I forgot to say that I used a new recipe then normal and this one had no eggs in it. I was hesitant to follow the directions, because baking without eggs seemed... wrong in some way. But I resisted the urge to not follow the directions per usual, because when I deter from the normal directions thats when my baking goes.... wrong.

Raspberry Scones with Lemon Glaze


For scones:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut in chunks
  • 1 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing the scones
  • 1 cup fresh raspberries
For lemon glaze:
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1 lemon, zest finely grated
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter


My girlfriend loves fried chicken... and man So do I. But I've been trying to move away from fried things (at least until I get back into my gym routine). So I decided we would try and bake the chicken with some delicious panko crumbs on it. Lets just say it didnt taste as good as when its friend.. but we still ate it all. What does that tell you?

Baked Panko Chicken


Finally I've documented a burger creation that I've been making for awhile and it always is a winner in my book. I love hamburgers, cheeseburgers, bacon cheeseburgers all of the above so I decided to make delightful twist on a cheese burger.

Gorganzola Cheeseburger with Caramelized Onions


I forgot how long it takes to caramelize onions. But it was totally worth it.

So I decided to make some brownies from scratch something I've never done before, and since my best friend Deirdre who is a baker didnt answer her phone... I had to find a recipe on my own and of course they turned out dry and gross. Thanks for not picking up the phone Deirdre, the cost was the lives of innocent brownies. ANYWAYS, to try and save the brownies I decided to make a caramel sauce from scratch... but since the brownies were such a fail I was only left with caramel sauce so.... I made caramel apples.

Homemade Caramel Sauce on Apples


Homework? Who has time for that.





No comments:

Post a Comment