Cook, Eat, Repeat.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Holy Goat Cheese!

Recently one of my best friends returned from North Carolina where she lives and we spent a lot of time together, we both enjoy cooking and she had been talking to me about making cheese. All the talk about curds and whey threw me off, I didnt know half of how to make any of that stuff and it sounded more complicated then I was ready to embark on. But the other day I was browsing the internet, as I do frequently, and I came across a step by step blog on how to make goat cheese. We LOVE goat cheese at the house so I figured it seemed simple enough and began my journey towards making cheese. Now, I went to a health food store to find goats milk, but I couldnt find any, so I reached out to my friends and was informed I could purchase some at Trader Joes (TJ's for short), so I had to wait another couple days to go get my milk! Finally I bought some and came home to begin my adventure. The first thing I had to do was heat the milk to 180 degrees so that it would be hot enough to curdle once I added in a 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Well... I added that in and it didnt seem to do much, so I added some more and it began to curdle a bit. I then strained it with cheese cloth and caught all of my curds!

I had to strain it a couple times to really get all of the curds.


Once all the curds were collected I had to tie up the cheese cloth and hang it so it would drain properly.

After I let it drain for an hour I mixed in some spices and put it on a cracker!

Hot damn that cheese was good.

Ingredients:
1 Quart goats milk
1/4 cup lemon juice (add more if curdle doesnt happen)


No comments:

Post a Comment